Friday, January 13, 2012

Class 1 (Spring 2012)--Taking Time To Teach

Brother & Sister Tanner were called as service missionaries for the Pathway Program.  It's a program for those who haven't finished their degree.  There are 21 enrolled in the Winter Semester (over age 30) right now.  It's a commandment to get an education.  $65/credit.  Take 3 required semesters then move to the BYU Campus program, but the cost of the credits stay with you until you graduate.  Nampa program (ages 18-30)  Boise program (ages 30+)

While studying to prepare for the Pathways program she found some universal learning items....
1. Prepare
2. Teach One Another
3. Ponder & Prove

These are the ones for "college".  They translate into parenting like this....
1. Prepare = Teach the Information (FHE)
2. Teach One Another = They teach you the principle you have taught them.  The Holy Ghost works upon them when they act.  While they are "teaching you" the Holy Ghost testifies that what they are teaching is true.  The Holy Ghost is the conduit between knowledge and the knowledge getting inside them.
3.  Ponder & Prove = Think about it and then test it.
  • The goal is not just to give them information
  • In high school they are red material and then they study and cram and take a test.  Then they forget the information and move on to do the same thing for something else.  
  • We see the same thing happen in church too.  If you are in YM/YW you can ask them to tell you about Nephi.  They will tell you the facts of the story, but then watch those same kids in activities later and they are not living what they are saying. 
  • We need to teach the information so it goes inside and they can use it to govern behavior.
  • We want our children to behave well.  We teach them "rules" not doctrine.  

    " True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior.  The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than the study of behavior will improve behavior.  Preoccupation with unworthy behavior can lead to unworthy behavior.  That is why we stress so forcefully the study of the doctrines of the gospel."  Elder Boyd K. Packer "Little Children" Ensign November 1986

    • How many parenting books have you read?  It's not bad to read them, but you are studying behavior.  The study of true doctrine will change behavior quicker. 
    • We get hung up on "unworthy behavior".  Preoccupation leads to unworthy behavior.
    • When we are constantly focused on correcting a behavior we convince the child that it is a part of them.  Pretty soon the child begins to believe they are "lazy, stubborn, etc".  It's very unmotivating for them.  
    • Preoccupation with the negative brings on the negative! 
    • "Where attention goes energy flows." 
    • The education system teaches...memorize-->test-->forget.  This makes us afraid to volunteer even if we know the answer.  We are too focused on what others think.  We are governed by peer pressure.  If we don't want our children to be governed by peer pressure we need to teach them differently.  It has to get inside.

    "How to" ponder and prove:  Teaching correct doctrine has 4 levels.


    Level 1:  Knowledge:
    • This is what we teach in FHE
    • It is what is being taught in Primary, Young Women's, Relief Society.
    • You have to have it.
    • This is telling a story and the child being able to repeat the story to you.
    • They can recite it just fine.
    • You will find a lot of people that have a lot of knowledge in the gospel.
    • It is a very important step, but if you stop there you don't build testimonies
    • We are teaching our children to not have an opinion or to talk about something they are struggling with especially in the family circle.  It's not a "safe" environment.

    Level 2:  Understanding: 
    • This is where you test your children to see if they understand what they "know"
    • They give the lesson back to you.
    • You ask lots of questions and listen to their answers. Ask questions like "Why do you think Joseph Smith went to the grove to pray?"
    • You take the fact and give it meaning.
    • You have to get them to talk back to you
    • You have to question them individually to see that each one understands.
    • Ask questions and then listen to what they have to say to see if they really understand.
    Types of questions to ask....
    1. How do you feel about....?
    2. What is your understanding of...?
    3. Why do you think...?
    4. What is the meaning of...?
    • If they say things that are wrong keep asking them questions until they understand. 
    • If they don't have it...go back to the 1st step and reteach then ask questions to see if they understand.

    Level 3:  Internalize: 
    • This is where you take it into my life and decide how it will affect me.
    • This is "doing" not just knowing.
    • They need to see that it applies to me.
    • Example:  If your child comes home from school and is having problems with something,  You can ask "What did Joseph Smith do when he had a problem?"  "Pray"  "What happened when Joseph Smith prayed?"  "Heavenly Father answered him."  Do you think Heavenly Father will answer you?"  Sometimes their answer will be "no".  You can validate them by saying, "I know Heavenly Father will answer you if you ask.  Would you like me to pray with you?"

    Level 4:  Act:
    • This is where they do something about it.  It opens the door for the Holy Ghost to teach and testify.

    The process has to happen over and over.  When it does they....

    1. Become spiritually independent
    2. Become "act"ers
    • You must create the experience where they can apply the principle.
    • They need to do something hard to learn the principle and internalize it.

    Sister Tanner's sister (Marilee) has 4 boys.  She was teaching them about gratitude.  They decided that for 1 month they would become "secret service agents."  They went to DI and got black suit jackets and the Dollar Store of dark sunglasses.  They decided that one of the people they were grateful for was the garbage man.  So they made muffins and stood outside at 7am waiting for the garbage man to come in their "secret service agent" outfits.

    Did they learn service? Yes.  They "DID" something.  However, this is not understood for life. They have to do service over and over and over.

    The stripling warriors...they knew what they knew.  Their parents were the Anti-nephi-lehi's who buried their weapons.  Their fathers allowed themselves to be killed rather than break the covenants they had made.  Their mothers taught them and they lived it every day.  They said, we loved Dad and he gave his life for his covenants.  I will give my life for my covenants.  My Dad did it.  I'm going to do the same thing.  Their mothers not only said it, they gave their lives for it and lived it.


    • Do we just "say it?"  or Do we "live it?"
    • We need to create a safe environment.
    • Teaching takes time.  It's more than just family home evenings.  It's mini moments every day.  
    • We do reactive parenting and we need to do proactive parenting.
    • (Reactive) They hit....we say "stop hitting."
    • (Proactive) In those moments when they are playing well....we say, "You are sharing your toys.  That is what families do when we love each other."
    • Our focus needs to be to react to the positive moments not the negative moments. 
    • The purpose of parenting is to teach.  Correcting wrong behavior doesn't teach. 
    • Mini moments can happen anywhere at anytime....tucking kids in bed, cooking together, driving in car together....it has to be "together"
    • We think discipline teaches them how to behave.
    • Use the mini moments of the day.
    • How do you recognize when those mini moments are there?  By reading your scriptures and praying each day.  You are then entitled to revelation each day on what to say and when and what questions to ask.
    • You have to invite the spirit into YOUR life EVERYDAY.
    • Prepare yourself and ask and then you will receive the answers you need.
    • The Holy Ghost is the key to the "safe" environment.
    Most of us need a "to do" list to know how to do this.  To do lists are a good place to start, but it is a disadvantage to you because you become dependent on the list and don't all the Spirit to teach you.

    Moms are the heart of the home.  We are endowed with gifts to be that way.  It is your responsibility to create an environment.


    1.     Build on the positive
    a.     Can only teach on positive
    b.     Tell the child what you want them to do instead of what you "don't" want them to do.
    c.     When they are jumping on the sofa instead of saying "Stop jumping on the sofa."  say  "You may jump on the floor or on the trampoline."

    2.     Keep your word
    a.     Watch what you say
    b.     They need to learn that they can trust you and believe you no matter what.
    c.   If you say, "We will bake cookies tomorrow."  Then no matter what you have going tomorrow you better do it.
    d.  Heavenly Father keeps his word with exactness.  Adam and Eve were cast out.  The Lamanites were cursed. 
    e.  Watch how you say things.  If you say "I will be there at 3pm to pick you up."  You better be there by 5 minutes to 3pm.  If you aren't sure you can make it at exactly 3pm say, "I will try my hardest to be there by 3pm.  If I'm not there wait for me by the flag pole and I will be there as soon as I can."

    3.     Use language of respect with them.
    a.     Please, thank you, excuse me.
    b.     It has to be on their level and they will understand it.
    c.     "I was being contentious to them by yelling at them to tell them to stop being so contentious."
    d.  I appreciate you.  I love you.

    4.     Use eye contact.
    a.     Get down on their level.  That way you know that they understand what you are saying to them.  There is no question that they heard you.  They still may not choose to do it, but they did hear you.
    b.     Do this especially with positives. 

    5.     Frequent, positive, appropriate, contact

    6.     Emotionally keep your children out of the corner
    a.     Don't ask a question that you already know the answer to  It make them feel demeaned.

    7.     Be on their side.
    a.     There are 3 options....Give in for peace, Start the lecture series, or Be on their side.
    b.     You can feel bad that they didn't get to do what they wanted to.
    c.     Say..."Let's try this again tomorrow."

    d.     Always give them a chance to repent and redeem themselves.  Let them know when they can try again.

    8.     Meet at the Crossroads
    a.     Meet them at the door when they are coming and going.  It is the most important thing for them to know that you love them.
    b.  15 minutes before they come home you need to disengage from what you are doing so you are 100% available to them.

    Knowledge:  What you learned in class today
    Teach:  Within 24 hours tell someone something you learned in class today
    Ponder & Prove:  Do the homework.  If you do the homework each week you will be a different person in 10 weeks than you are today because you will invite the Holy Ghost in and that allows change.


    HOMEWORK:

    1. Build on the positive
    2. Meet at the crossroads...coming & going
    3. Read "Our Duty to God: The Mission of Parents & Leaders to the Rising Generation" by Robert D. Hales May 2010 Ensign pg 95-98 and make a to do list from there.  
    4. Post to the blog...pick 1 think you did or learned or what you felt about the talk...something you gained from it.  
    5. Read each other's posts.

    3 Nephi 17:21-24 
     21 And when he had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.
     22 And when he had done this he wept again;
     23 And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.
     24 And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them.


    We are the ones God appointed to encircle our children with love and the fire of faith.  You are the angels entrusted with that stewardship.

    16 comments:

    Emily said...

    Ever since I became a mom, I've been attempting to do the "positive parenting" methods. Even though I've been more or less applying it for years, I tried even harder after Thursday's class. . . and I'm EXHAUSTED!!! It's hard to tell if it's more exhausting to think about what you're going to say before saying it (so it can be positive), or just putting out fires when you've said the wrong thing. :-) BUT . . . here's the good part: Because I took the time to be positive with my children, the Spirit was still in the home when fires came. Our homework assignment talk says "plan and take advantage of teaching moments" . . . and I realized today that we wouldn't have had teaching moments unless the Spirit were present. My kids were pretty upset about their friends needing to go home after a fun play date, but instead of reacting to their anger we pulled out their illustrated scriptures. They calmed down so quickly, and we learned stories that applied to how they felt.
    So being positive with my children may be extremely exhausting, but it's worth it because I need the Spirit during those teaching moments. The Spirit can also make up for my lack of patience and lack of strength. He makes up for my weakness.

    Anonymous said...

    After reading Elder Robert D. Hales talk, I decided one thing that I would work on is being more present for my child. Instead of getting caught up with what I am doing or want I need to get done, I am going to try to "be there" more for her.

    Meckenzie said...

    I agree with Emily...being positive is exhausting! The fun thing about changing the way I react to my children is the comments that I get. My 10 year old keeps asking me if I'm okay. It took me close to 5 minutes just to get my 3 year old dressed because I was trying to be positive and my son asked me if I was depressed. Maybe I need to make sure there is a smile on my face while I am trying to be positive! Ha! Ha! I have noticed that in trying to keep away from the "no" and "don't"s, I have had to think hard and get creative in how I speak and frankly I like the mental exercise. It can actually be quite hilarious when your daughter has pooped her pants and is trying to clean herself off with a wet wipe without your help and you can't just say, "Stop that! Give me that and let me do it"! Instead I said, "you get your foot clean and then Mommy will get your leg. Then you get your other foot clean and mommy will get your other leg. Then we'll dip your legs and feet in the tub." She thought this was a good compromise since she likes to do everything by herself. I can't say I have felt an overwhelming feeling of the spirit per say, but I have noticed an attitude change and a lot more light-heartedness in myself...I do believe that is my Heavenly Father intervening in my life.

    Emily said...

    Just when I think I am beginning to make progress, being at the crossroads, building on a positive foundation, correcting myself when I react otherwise, I read my homework, oh yeah, the night before class. :) Sadly I have too many "Grandpa! Are you in there?" moments. One of my children will get angry or go off and pout if she is not heard right away, instead of taking my face in her hands. Unfortunately and maybe consequently she is my most whiney child, which is why I am not eager to hear her, a vicious circle I need to end. Love her, do not like her whine. I need to listen and teach so that she will correct this behavior. Wow it is going to be work, but I am up for a challenge.
    On a more fun note, I always ask my kids when they get home from school, how their day was, what their favorite part was and why. My thirteen year old son is hard to get talking and would frequently reply to the first question with an unenthusiastic “fine.” So we started a game that when he said “fine” I would chase him through the house and tackle him and hug him until he told me how it really went. Today the girls, who get home later, caught wind of the game so they too said “fine” and got chased through the house in turn. The last one I needed help cornering. A little exercise for me and a little fun for them, we LOVE it.

    Kara said...

    I am a perfectionist and having waited so long to become a mom I want to do it just right. But I feel like I mess up A LOT. I loved Elder Hales' message that you are never a failure and that it is never too late to start. I've been thinking about this throughout the week and how it applies to my family relationships. I have a really good marriage, but I can certainly be doing my part better. I have been struggling lately with feelings that it is too late, I am who I am and that's all my husband has known for nine years. Striving so hard to be someone better for my 2-yr-old to see and having read this talk I know I can still be that better person for my husband to see as well.

    Emily H. said...

    I tried to post this yesterday but I guess I did something wrong so here goes a second try. :)Just when I think I am beginning to make progress, being at the crossroads, building on a positive foundation, correcting myself when I react otherwise, I read my homework, oh yeah, two nights before class. :) Sadly I have too many "Grandpa! Are you in there?" moments. One of my children will get angry or go off and pout if she is not heard right away, instead of taking my face in her hands. Unfortunately and maybe consequently she is my most whiney child, which is why I am not eager to hear her, a vicious circle I need to end. Love her, do not like her whine. I need to listen and teach so that she will correct this behavior. Wow it is going to be work, but I am up for a challenge.
    On a more fun note, I always ask my kids how their day was and what their favorite part was and why when they get home from school. My thirteen year old son is hard to get talking and would frequently reply to the first question with an unenthusiastic “fine.” So we started a game that when he said “fine” I would chase him through the house and tackle him and hug him until he told me how it really went. Today the girls, who get home later, caught wind of the game so they too said “fine” and got chased through the house in turn. The last one I need help cornering. A little exercise for me and a little fun for them, we LOVE it.

    Woodlands said...

    I'm having a hard time not trying to change everything all at once! The last time I took the class I was able to quit yelling almost instantly, but it didn't last forever. I realized that one reason I wasn't able to keep it going was because I have forgotten to teach my children what to do instead of assuming they will know what to do. After reading the talk I have a lengthy "To Do" list, but the priority for me is to teach, teach, teach and help them apply the teaching...and take lots of deep breaths!

    After reading Elder Hales's talk I realized that another reason I haven't been able to keep myself from yelling is that I haven't been internalizing and applying what I am taught when it comes to changing MY behavior. We are taught to pray for help, study scriptures and other church resources, and ponder. I say that I know it is a true principle and I have done it sometimes, but I struggle to continue to apply it to myself long enough to make lasting changes. So in addition to teaching my children I am working on applying what I am teaching them and what I have been taught until I have changed.

    Eric and Terrilynn said...

    I came up with a list of eight "to do's" from the Ensign article by Elder Hales. Two of them stuck out to me. The first was to pay attention to them as we would a trusted colleague or close friend. WOW! I immediately thought of all the times when I have been so engaged in whatever it was that I was doing and brushed them off when they were trying to tell me something. I have tried to take a little more time to listen and just be there for them. The second was to demonstrate the principles and blessings of the gospel in EVERY interaction we share. When I raise my voice and get upset that is not demonstrating the principles of the gospel. I'm not perfect but I pray that I will be able to be a little bit better each week!

    Anonymous said...

    First of all, I appreciate every word and advice Sister Tanner gives! She is my favorite! I Feel edified every week attending this class. It is sometimes hard to remember all these great things I learn to practice every week, but it is possible with the spirit guiding me. I loved the talk by Elder Hales. How wonderful to have apostles of the Lord also being guided by the spirit to help us parents, who need all the help we can get. So I have found as I read my scriptures daily and pray for the spirit to be with me, I am more in tune with what I need to do or say with my children. I have a big list of "To Do's" from his talk that I am looking forward to practicing.

    Amber said...

    The to-do I want to post about from the homework article is pay attention to your kids as you would to an adult or a close friend. This idea, coupled with Sis. Tanner's advice to look the kids in the eye when you ask them to do something has already shown some positive potential in my house. I don't completely understand everything my 3 yr. old says but I have made a serious effort to look at him and listen the whole time he is telling 90 mile an hour stories. I can tell it makes him feel important. With my 5 yr. old, the eye contact thing is helping us have a calmer, quieter house as he is miraculously less likely to resist when I have calmly asked him to do something.

    Shannon said...

    I too tried harder to build on a positive foundation. I tried harder, specifically with my 2 year old, to tell him what he could do. When I found him driving a car on his little sister's head or being too rough, I told him "We can drive our cars on the floor" and he did it! I was surprised by his response...and it was way more easy than yelling. I found that I actually felt more love towards my kids when I approached it this way. :) The hardest part was figuring out how to change my original negative response to a positive one.

    My favorite part of the talk was "It is impossible to overestimate the influence of parents who understand the hearts of their children. Research shows that during the most important transitions of life—including those periods when youth are most likely to drift away from the Church—the greatest influence does not come from an interview with the bishop or some other leader but from the regular, warm, friendly, caring interaction with parents." I think I need to try much harder to understand my children's hearts. If I look more deeply at where their hearts are, I think I would be less frustrated when they make mistakes. I would love them more because I would know that they aren't intentionally frustrating me (at least most of the time). If I looked at their hearts more, I would be able to change our relationship for the better and build a better foundation of love and trust to last a lifetime.

    Anonymous said...

    I want to testify on the power of touch. When I walk up to my children or spouse (as opposed to talking from accrosed the room) and touch them (on the arm or shoulder or hand etc) they really pay attention. It is a real connection and they listen to you!

    Zann =) said...

    The part I took from this talk was how we not only need to be good examples to our children, but to do things WITH them, not just expect them to do it themselves, such as Personal Progress, Duty to God, Faith in God, etc. My parents NEVER worked with me on pretty much anything, so this is a totally foreign thing for me to make an effort to do when I'm already a busy mom and hardly have time for ME. But I want to make the effort because I can see how the Stripling Warriors made an impact on their peers because of the example of their mothers.

    I can also appreciate that Emily said in the comment before mine. It's hard to be positive when you are in a contentious moment, but I find the more positive you are, the more the Spirit can reside and help you in those moments. I even had a big contentious moment tonight and after I flew off the handle for a minute or two (oops!), I calmed down, said a quick prayer, and tried to find something positive and once I did, the Spirit was helping me find the right things to say and do at my weakest moment.

    Ann said...

    As I built on the positive this week I noticed my children being more positive with each other as well. We really do teach and lead by example as Elder Hales says,"This takes daily determination and diligence." I was not even close to being positive everytime, but there was an improvement. This is hard, but I just keep trying.

    Natalie said...

    I too have tried to be aware of "teaching moments" this week. I read the Book of Mormon to my kids (a few verses) while we eat our breakfast in the mornings. My son had a time out the other day, & when it was over we were able to talk about & draw back on what we had read that morning & about the Holy Ghost, & how important it is to have the Holy Ghost "in our hearts" as my son says. It was a great experience for us both.
    Then being at the "cross roads" I've reflected on my own childhood of coming home to baked goodies by my mother & how it always made me feel. The other day my daughter & I made cookies for when my son came home...the "little things" really can speak loud

    Melanie said...

    There were a couple of things I focused on this last week: Being at the crossroads and playing with my children. When I send my kiddos out the door, I make sure they get a hug and an "I love you", but when they return, I become a mom greeting them with a laundry list. So I spent time asking them each how their day went (instead of waiting until bedtime) and engaging them. When it snowed, we combined work with play (we shoveled the walk into sleds to be hauled to the snow fort). I share this because it's not anything new, but when I feel loved and valued, I am much more likely to want to serve or do my work. I wanted the same for my boys and girls, not just so I can get more work out of them :) but so we can be a better family. It's one of those things I have to keep relearning. And yes it takes more time on the front end to be patient and listen, but in the end, we grow closer, and I don't have to be the broken record or the nagging mom.